1961 Lone Star Boat Restoration
by: Rick Jacquot
The boat had set outside covered by a tarp for many years. I don't care what kind of boat cover you use, water will still get in and rot things. In this case the transom was ruined so I had to replace it. I used two sheets of marine plywood laminated together to get the right thickness.
Old rotted transom.
Once the new transom was installed and sealed, the rest of the transom area was rehabbed with new paint. The battery box was installed and preparation was made for the motor.
The motor is a 1989 Mercury 115 HP 2 stroke engine (originally from the African Queen). This motor has been on many of my boats over the years. It has been sunk twice and still got me home. It had seen better days and I decided it was time for a complete overhaul for this new project. To give you an idea of how much I like fossil diving and boating. I sold my 1964 Panhead Harley I had for 30 years to pay for the rebuild on the boat motor!
A couple of shots of the rough base for the Captains chair.